Maiden World - Iron Maiden news, discussion, information and articles
You are here:
Iron Maiden Trading Direct Connect Hub
To get started, you'll need to do the following things (you can click a title to jump to that section):
- Download & configure DC++
- Read the hub rules
- Register for access to the hub
- Add the current hub addresses to your "Favorite Hubs" list
- Connect to a hub
- Perform basic activities using DC++
- Consult the FAQ for help with common problems
- Help with audio & video formats and codecs
- No Sharing of WMA, MP3, MPC, M4A, OGG, MKW, DTS, XM, WAV, ISO or EXE Files are allowed! Immediate Warnings, Kicks & Bans!
- No Sharing of any official stuff (anything that can be bought retail.) Immediate Warnings, Kicks & Bans!
- No Sharing of ANY material which has been converted from it's original format.
- Videos should be shared in the best available source, no DivX/mpeg if there is a DVD source!
- You must download and share at least ONE (1) gigabyte of Iron Maiden audio and/or video ASAP!
- You must share at least TEN (10) GB of Lossless Audio. (New Members are excluded for at least 7 days of their total online time in the DC++ Hub)
- Do Not Queue or Download DVD's until you reach a share of twenty (20) GB.
- You have to share all completed downloads or to archive it with a list available for requests until more HD space is acquired.....No Leeching.
- If a show comes with an identification file such as .MD5, .ST5, .FFP then you MUST use it to verify the data before sharing with this hub. PM OP for assistance.
- Stay in this hub when you are downloading - Leeching isn't fair.
- Please give at least 2 slots.
- Please use only English in main chat, but you can use any language in PM's.
- Empty folders must reside in a parent folder called "Archived". (do not mix them with shared shows.)
- Please try to keep shares organized and Internationally date descending. (2000-04-20) And don't share incomplete files and downloads!
- Treat all hub members and OP's with respect, no offense in here!
- Do not advertise in the hub.
If you are found to be breaking any of these rules, you will first be kicked, then subsequently banned if the same offence happens again. Repeatedly breaking the rues will lead to your IP being banned.
Accounts not in use for 12 weeks will be deleted from the hub members database. Please inform one of the DC++ hub ops if you are planning to stay away longer than that period.
We have created these rules to give everyone interested in trading and sharing the best possible hub experience. When we see a need to change rules, we may do so. If you see a member breaking one of the rules, you should report it to an op to be dealt with.
You will get VIP Status in the hub if you have at least 100 GB share. Or when you do something special like bringing new and/or rare shows to the hub, you may also become a VIP! As VIP you get some more features like entering the VIP Chat, additional commands like search for free slots and sending Pms to offline users.
Registering for the Hub
- Read the hub rules above, and make sure you understand and agree with them
- Register for an account on the Forum using a valid e-mail address
- Using your forum account, send a private message using the below template as a guide, substituting YOUR NICK and YOUR PASSWORD as appropriate.
Subject: Hub Registration I have read and agree to the rules of the hub. nick: YOUR NICK password: YOUR PASSWORDYou should send the PM to one of the following users, who will be able to process your registration request. (Clicking on their name will take you to the 'Write new PM' page, if you're logged into the forum.
- Wait for a PM back from the person you asked to register you. If they don't reply for several days, you could try another one from the list above in the meantime. You will recieve an e-mail notification when you recieve the PM response.Once you've recieved successful confirmation, you're done registering and can move on to the next step
Favorite Hubs List
To add the hub to your Favourites list, as we suggest, you should do the following.
- Open "View > Favorite Hubs" (CTRL + F)
- Click on new
- Enter the name: "Iron Maiden Trading Hub"
- Enter the address: "hub.maiden-world.com"
- Enter your username and password as chosen during registration into the "Identification" section of the dialog
Download & configure DC++
- Download latest DC++ from http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
- Run the installer, follow instructions to complete install
- Run DC++
- Open the "Settings" dialog
- Go to the "General" tab and enter your desired nickname
- Go to the "Downloads" tab and enter:
- The folder name for finished downloads in "Default download directory"
- The folder name for unfinished downloads in "Unfinished download directory"
- Do not share unfinished files! if people download them from you, then they start sharing the unfinished files too, and it causes problems
- Go to the "Sharing" tab and add the folders you wish to share. Remember! only share files that are within the rules of the hub.
- Also on the "Sharing" tab enter the number of "Upload slots" you will allow. (3 is the minimum allowed on the hub)
Double click on a hub name, and you will connect to that hub. If the selected one doesnt work, just try another from your favourites list.
Basic activities with DC++
When you are connected to the hub, you can:
- Right click on a user's nick for a list of actions you can perform
- Use the "Get file list" option to see that user's shared files
- Talk to all the users on the hub in the chat window
- Send "Private Messages", by choosing the "Message" action
- Search for specific bootlegs with "File>Search" or "CTRL+S"
- Type "!userhelp" in the main chat to get a list of the hub's commands
- If you change your share, you should type "/refresh" in the main chat
- You can also read DC++'s own help by clicking "Help>Readme"
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm having trouble with the files i've downloaded, they wont play or the video is missing
To find information on codecs, consult this forum thread about codecs
I cant connect to other users
If you're behind a firewall or router, you should try passive mode, which is enabled within "File>Settings>General". You wont be able to download from other users who are using passive mode, but it should work for most.
DC crashes after I try to enter a download queue
You should open the folder where DC++ is installed and check, or delete "queue.xml". This file has probably become corrupted, causing your problem
I have a problem that isnt listed here. Help!
You can ask for help in the DC Hub forum or e-mail the site administrators by using the details found on the contact page. Alternatively, if your problem does not stop you from actually connecting to the hub, you could ask in the main chat.
Help with audio & video formats and codecs
.APE files - Monkey's Audio (Lossless)
The installer includes a WinAmp plugin, compressor and decompressor and is available freely from http://www.monkeysaudio.com. Use APE format if you want to share bootlegs from audio CDs and don't forget to create MD5 file with MD5Summer so that people who download the file can ensure it is in its orignal unmodified form, and not corrupted.
.FLAC files - FLAC (Lossless)
The installer includes a Winamp plugin, and is available from http://flac.sourceforge.net/features.html
.SHN files - Shorten format (Lossless)
A range of software is available for dealing with shorten files, a small index of which is located at http://research.umbc.edu/~hamilton/shnfaq.html. A WinAmp plugin is available at http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=ShnAmp
Other links of use
Plugins for the popular CD-writing software Nero to allow it to use more formats when creating VCDs and CDs
Establishes what codecs are required to play video files (avi, mpeg, ...)
Nimo Codec Pack
This is a collection of commonly-needed codecs that installs itself reasonably simply. Be warned that if you've spent time installing your own versions and types of codecs to ensure good media playback for files you already have this can cause more harm than good.
MD5summer is an application which generates and verifies MD5 checksums, allowing you to verify that a file is complete and uncorrupt after you download it.
MPEG 2 codec
Allows you to play back files stored in MPEG 2 format, such as DVD .vob, .m2v and more. This may already be covered by system filters for the playback of DVD's , especially if you have a software DVD player installed. It is suggested that you only install this codec if you have trouble playing files which can be identified to be MPEG 2 encoded.
Specific website content & style is copyright © 2003 maiden-world.com, All Rights Reserved
Admin E-mail: admin AT maiden-world DOT com , Site Design by Jon Simpson